Parking garages are common hunting grounds for many lowlife criminals who just lay in wait for some unsuspecting woman to come along. They seem to like these types of structures due to the fact that there are many ways to exit the structure and usually not much in the way of surveillance cameras or security.
Another benefit to criminals is that there are many places to hide and wait for a victim. This is a problem people, especially women, need to keep in mind as they walk through the parking garage to their vehicle.
There are a few simple tips you can follow that will help to lower your odds of falling victim to attack within a parking garage.
• If you have a car alarm, which you should, be sure that if it has the feature that allows you to turn on your inside lights with your remote be sure it is enabled and that you use it. It will help to expose anyone that may be hidden inside of the car should they find a way past the alarm.
• Be sure to carry at least one type of self defense weapon such as a pepper spray or a personal alarm or even a Stun gun. Not only do you want to have it but have it out and ready to be used.
• As you walk look around and listen. Don’t be on the phone and not paying attention as it makes you too appealing a target.
• If the building you are coming from or the parking garage has security, ask to be walked out to your vehicle or walk with a friend and then drive them to their vehicle.
• Take a self defense class. Not only is it a great way to boost your self esteem it is a great way to get healthier while preparing yourself should you ever need to save your own life.
One of the main ways to help lower your odds of attack whether it is in a parking garage or anywhere else is to make yourself look like a bad target. Criminals don’t want people who look like they are prepared to defend themselves, it is much easier to wait for a weak person to come by.
Be sure that weak person is not you!
Stay safe and keep your eyes open!